I love this recipe because it is so simple and easy to make. The best part is, it gives you more time for morning rituals since you don’t have to watch it cook if you have a timer on. The recipe says that it makes about 4-6 servings but if you soak the bread on both sides like I usually do, it makes exactly 4 servings. So delicious <3
- Nonstick cooking spray (you can use muffin paper liners but it’s a little hard to rip them off without tearing the toast)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon (a splash) milk, (eyeball it)
- 2 teaspoons (about half a palmful) cinnamon
- Dash of vanilla extract — optional
- Dash of fresh nutmeg — optional but highly recommended
- 4-6 slices white or wheat sandwich bread
- 1 pint fresh berries such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray the inside of each cup of a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. Cut a slit in the corner of each slice of bread from the middle of the slice to the edge.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture then lightly press it into a cup of the muffin tin, overlapping the pieces where you cut the slit to make it fit into the cup without tearing.
- Bake the French toast cups for 12-14 minutes, until they’re light golden brown.
- Allow the cups to cool slightly in the muffin tin before removing them. To serve, arrange the cups on a platter and fill each one with fresh fruit and top with whipped cream.
Steps 2 &3 might sound a little confusing, so I drew a pic. Excuse the ugliness of it; I can’t draw with a mouse >__<;;
Topping-wise, it’s really up to you. I like to garnish it with fruits but if you don’t have the time to wash berries, then you can simply eat it with maple syrup, nutella, peanut butter, jam, or any other toppings you like.
Something to try for the weekend? =)